Welcome to my blog!

I am a stay at home Mom of 3 living in Southern NH. This blog combines my love for my children, photography and cooking. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Terrified and disgusted

I think that I am going to be sick. Earlier this week I got a few emails about a violent child predator moving to my town. It was only today that I learned that this violent criminal lives just doors down from me.

This man spent 20 years in jail for kidnapping, raping and murdering a 6 year old little girl. He just moved to my town and lives 8 doors down from a private school and approx 8 houses away from me and my 3 and 5 year old daughters. The public library is across the street from where he is believed to live. Right across from his new home is a park that the girls and I frequent go to for picnics. I am horrified and scared. The elementary school that my children will eventually attend is just a block from his front door.

My lovely state of NH, the good ole' live free or die state does not impose any restrictions as to where sex offenders can live. My children are not allowed to play outside alone ever anyway but it still makes me nervous. The children next door are 4, 5 and 9 and are NEVER supervised outside. I live 4 houses away from the school mentioned in the story but my children do not attend there. We walked around the block yesterday and I saw the news van but I didn't think anything of it since we just had so many news crews here for the primary.

Here is one of the stories as reported by the local news channel:

DERRY, N.H. -- Residents of a Derry neighborhood are upset and demanding answers after learning that a man convicted of sexually assaulting and murdering a girl has moved into town.
Police said that the man, who has not yet been identified, notified them that he has moved into a home near the Derry Montessori School. Chief Ed Garone notified the school, which informed parents. News9 has learned that the sex offender was convicted of kidnapping, strangling, assaultin, and dumping his 6-year-old neighbor's body in a storm drain in 1981. The crime occurred in Norwich, Conn. The sex offender served 22 years. His parole ended on Jan. 22., of this year. An emergency meeting was held Wednesday for parents and law enforcement.
"How can that person be out of jail and walking the streets?" said a parent who asked to be identified as Julie. "Maybe if they did serve their sentence, how can they be allowed to live so close to a school or where other children congregate?" But police said that the man isn't doing anything wrong. By notifying police, he will be placed on the sex offender registry.
"Provided that these individuals comply with all state laws and conditions of their release, if there are any, they have the same rights as every other citizen," Garone said.
Police said that the man should be listed on the registry by Friday.
I just learned that there is to be an emergnecy town council meeting on Saturday. We will be there along with all of our neighbors to see what can be done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to state that knowledge is power.