Welcome to my blog!

I am a stay at home Mom of 3 living in Southern NH. This blog combines my love for my children, photography and cooking. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Crème Puffs

We celebrated my mother’s birthday with dinner tonight.  I wanted to do something different for dessert so I pulled out a recipe that I found years ago for Crème Puffs.  They were great.  I’ll post the recipe at the bottom of this post.

March 2011 014

Coming out of the oven.

 March 2011 015

After filling with homemade custard.

 March 2011 016

Some chocolate ganache for the top.  I was out of dark chocolate so milk chocolate had to do.

 

 March 2011 017

The final product.  We placed sliced strawberries on top right before serving them.

 

Custard Crème Puffs

Ingredients:
1 c. water
1 stick butter
1 c. flour
4 eggs


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat water and butter to a rolling boil in a pan. Reduce heat to low. Stir
in flour over low heat until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Drop by tablespoon onto an
un-greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake 35-40 minutes until
puffed and golden brown. Let cool slowly away from drafts. Cut off tops,
scoop out center and fill. Replace tops and dust with powdered sugar. Cover
and refrigerate until serving.


Custard for Cream Puffs


1/2 cup sugar
3 heaping tablespoons cornstarch or 5 or 6 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla


Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a bowl. Using a whisk, add the milk,
melted butter. Place the bowl in the microwave and cook till custard is
thick, stirring every couple minutes.
Temper eggs into cooked custard by adding about ½ cup of cooked custard to
the beaten egg yolks in a separate bowl. Stir and add eggs to the rest of the
custard mixture. Microwave again for a minute or so. Add vanilla.
With your mixer, beat the egg whites till fairly stiff. When custard is
cooked, fold beaten egg whites into the custard while still warm.


Cool custard and fill puffs. I dusted cooled puffs with powdered sugar and some with chocolate ganache.

No comments: